Ordnance Survey maps of the area indicate that there were two schools in Gartmore in the mid 19th century. There has been State primary education in the village for about 150 years and the present school building dates from the time of the Disruption of 1843. The school is shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1862 as a single rectangular structure and a second classroom was added in 1875. The Education Act of 1872 stipulated that a register of pupils and a log-book of events and attendances be kept. From these a fascinating account of early village school life emerges.
There was careful preparation for the annual inspection on which the revenue of the school and salary of the staff depended. The log book also refers to extremes of weather leading to damaged roofs, blocked roads, absenteeism and frozen ink! The Graham and Cayzer families of Gartmore House were generous to the school with gifts as varied as strawberries, tennis balls and an annual Christmas Tree complete with a present for each pupil.
At the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, 315 children were evacuated to Gartmore and the school roll rose from 32 to 171. After a few weeks many children returned to their homes and the school roll dropped steadily until 1967, when there were 25 pupils and one teacher. In 1979 two mobile classrooms were erected in the playground following the demolition of the corrugated-iron dining room. The refurbishment of the old school building commenced in 1994 to provide additional accommodation and new classrooms for children of primary school age.
Gartmore Primary School is a small school with BIG ideas!
We have a CULTURE where pupils are confident, successful, responsible and effective.
We have a CURRICULUM which is broad and deep, personalised and relevant.
We are part of a COMMUNITY which values partnerships, providing the best experiences and outcomes for children.
We have a CATCHMENT abounding with beauty and potential.
And our inclusive ethos makes us a CENTRE of learning for all!
The Gartmore School Partnership operates an After School Club and the School has a thriving Breakfast Club. The After School Club runs from 3.15-5.15pm every day and the Breakfast Club from 8am-9am every morning. Both clubs are very well attended and run in accordance with term times.
Please visit our school website www.blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/st/gartmoreprimaryschool or contact us on 01877 382343 for further information.